COUNTRY OF ORIGIN AND COUNTRY OF BRAND ORIGIN – REVIEWING LITTERATURE
Carlos António Pinheiro Francisco e Silva, José António Ferreira Porfírio, Lisete dos Santos Mendes Mónico
In this article you will find a literature review approach on the effect of country of origin in a constant evolution leading to brand origin. Overall, the value of literature reviews lies in their ability to provide scholars, students, and practitioners with a critical assessment of existing research, helping to identify and develop further studies. The country-of-origin effect is controversial but retains all interest in a globalized and regionalized world, especially when we are talking about the current hybrid character of many products and when perceptions about brands' countries of origin are important from the consumer's point of view. The country of origin becomes a potential competitive and differentiating factor when we are talking about international markets. The studies appeared in 1965, but we have seen a growth in studies since the mid-1990s of the last century looking for an approach that redefined the concept, leading us to research topics such as brand origin, product country image and product place image. The European Union, for example, promotes protected designation of origin or protected indication of origin for some products. As important or even more important is the perception of the brand origin as a source of brand appeal, relegating to the background the question about where the company produces its goods or services, and giving importance to this perception, even for reasons related to stereotypes.
Carlos António Pinheiro Francisco e Silva, José António Ferreira Porfírio, Lisete dos Santos Mendes Mónico
- Ahholt, S. (6 de 2010). Definitions of place branding - working towards a resolution. Place Branding and PublicDiplomacy, pp. 1-10.
- Ahmed, S. A. (2 de 16 de 1999). The importance of country images in the formation of consumer product perceptions. International Marketing Review, pp. 108-125.
- Allman, H. F., Fenik, A., Hewwtt, K., & Morgan, F. N. (2 de 24 de 2016). Brand image evaluations: the interactive roles of country of manufacture, brand concept and vertical line extension type. Journal of International Marketing, pp. 40-61.
- Ambler, T. (2003). Marketing and the bottom line: creating the measures of success. London: Financial Times/Prentice Hall.
- Avis, M., Aitken, R., & Ferguson, S. (3 de 12 de 2012). Brand relationship and personalitytheory: metaphor or consumer perceptual reality. Mark. Theory, pp. 311-331.
- Batra, R., Ramaswamy, V., Alden, D. L., Steenkamp, J.-B. E., & Ramachander, S. (2 de 9 de 2000). Effects of brand local and nonlocal origin on consumer attitudes in developing countries. Journal of Consumer Psychology, pp. 83-95.
- Berry, C., Mukherjee, A., Burton, S., & Howlett, E. (3 de 91 de 2015). A COOL effect: the direct and indirect impact of country-of-origin disclosures on purchase intentions for retail food products. Journal of Retailing, pp. 533-542.
- Bilkey, W. J., & Nes, E. (1 de 13 de 1982). Country-of-origin effects on product evaluations. Journal of International Business Studies, pp. 89-100.
- Casidy, R., Tsarenko, Y., & Anderson, A. (4 de 16 de 2009). Towards particular brand personality. Journal of Brand Management, pp. 234-247.
- Cattin, P., Jolibert, A., & Lohnes, C. (3 de 13 de 1982). A Cross CulturalStudy of "Made in" Concepts. Journal ofInternational Business Studies, pp. 131-141.
- Chamorro, A., Rubio, S., & Miranda, F. J. (2 de 117 de 2015). The region-of-origin (ROO) effect on purchasing preferences: the case of multiregional designation of origin. British Food Journal, pp. 820-839.
- Chao, P. (2 de 24 de 1993). Partitioning Country of Origin Effects: Consumer Evaluations of a Hybrid Product. Journal of International Business Studies, pp. 291-306.
- Cheah, I., Phau, I., Kea, G., & Huang, Y. A. (30 de 2016). Modelling effects of consumer animosity: consumer's willingness to buy foreign and hybrid products. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, pp. 184-192.
- Chen, C. Y., Mathur, P., & Maheswaran, D. (4 de 41 de 2014). The effects of country-related affect on product evaluations. Journal of Consumer Research, pp. 1033-1046.
- Costa, C., Carneiro, J., & Goldszmidt, R. (5 de 25 de 2016). A contingent approach to country-of-origin effects on foreign products evaluation: interaction of facets of country image with product classes. International Business Review, pp. 1066-1075.
- Dinnie, K. (2008). Nation branding. Em K. Dinnie, Concepts, Issues, Practice. Oxford: Elsevier.
- Eng, T. Y., Ozdemir, S., & Michelson, G. (12 de 69 de 2016). Brand origin and country of production congruity: evidence from the UK and China. Journal of Business Research, pp. 5703-5711.
- Fruchter, G. E., Jaffe, E. D., & Nebenzahl, I. D. (8 de 42 de 2006). Dynamic brand-image-based prouction location decisions. Automatica, pp. 1371-1380.
- Godey, B., Pederzoli, D., Aiello, G., Donvito, R., Chan, P., & Weitz, B. (10 de 65 de 2012). Brand and country-of-origin effect on consumer's decision to purchae luxury products. Journal of Business Research, pp. 1461-1470.
- Guo, X. (1 de 21 de 2013). Living in aglobal world: influence of consumer global orientation on attitudes toward global brands from developed versus emerging countries. Journal of International Marketing, pp. 1-22.
- Han, C. M. (26 de May de 1989). Country Image: Halo or Summary Construct? Journal of Marketing Research, pp. 222-229.
- He, J., & Wang, C. L. (6 de 68 de 2015). Cultural identity and consumer ethnocentrism impacts on preference and purchase of domestic versus import brands: an empirical study in China. Journal of Business Research, pp. 1225-1233.
- Hui, M. K., & Zhou, L. (1/2 de 37 de 2003). Country-of-manufacture effects for known brands. European Journal of Marketing, pp. 133-153.
- Isa, A. M., Saud, M. B., & Ismail, M. D. (1 de 21 de 2016). Examining reasons for post-purchase satisfaction in buying local brands: when local meets local. Asia Pacific Management Review, pp. 48-61.
- Johansson, J. K., & Nebenzahl, I. D. (3 de 17 de 1986). Multinational production: effect on brand value. Journal of International Business Studies, pp. 101-126.
- Johnson, Z. S., Tian, Y., & Lee, S. (4 de 23 de 2016). Country-of-origin fit: when does a discrepancy between brand origin and country of manufacture reduce consumer's product evaluations? Journal of Brand Management, pp. 403-418.
- Josiassen, A., Lukas, B. A., Whitwell, G. J., & Assaf, G. (4 de 12 de 2013). The halo model oforigin images: conceptualisation and initial empirical test. Journal of Consumer Behaviour, pp. 253-266.
- Keller, K. L. (1 de 57 de 1993). Conceptualizing, measuring and managing customer-based brand equity. Journal of Marketing, 1-22.
- Keller, K. L., Apéria, T., & Georgson, M. (2011). Strategic Brand Management - A European perspective. Pearson Education Limited.
- Kim, S. J., Choi, Y. K., Kim, J. H., & Liu, H. (6 de 14 de 2015). Country of origin and brand image influences on perceptions of online game quality. Jpournal of Consumer Behaviour, pp. 389-398.
- Kipnis, E., & Broderick, A. (2017). The concept of place in international strategic marketing decisions. Em Strategic International Marketing: An Advanced Perspective (p. 93).
- Knight, D. A., & Calantone, R. J. (2 de 17 de 2000). A flexible model of consumer COO perception: a cross-cultural investigation. International Marketing Review, pp. 127-145.
- Koschate-Fischer, N., Diamantopoulos, A., & Oldenkotte, K. (1 de 20 de 2012). Are consumers really willing to pay more for a favorable country image? A study of country-or-origin effects on willingness to pay. Journal of International Marketing, pp. 19-41.
- Lan-Lung, C., & Chin-Sheng, Y. (130 de 2018). Does country of origin brand personality generate retail customer lifetime value? A big data analytics approach. Technological Forecasting & Social Change, pp. 177-187.
- Laroche, M. P., Papadopoulos, N., Heslop, L. A., & Mourali, M. (1 de 22 de 2005). The influence of country image structure on consumer evaluations of foreign products. International Marketing Review, pp. 96-115.
- Lin, L. Y. (1 de 19 de 2010). The relationship of consumer personality trait, brand personality and brand loyalty: an empirical study of toys and video games buyers. Journal of Product and Brand Management, pp. 4-17.
- Nebenzahl, I. D., & Jaffe, E. D. (4 de 13 de 1996). Measuring the joint effect of brand and country image in consumer evaluation of global products. International Marketing Review, pp. 5-22.
- Newman, G. E., & Dhar, R. (51 de 2014). Authenticity is contagious: brand essence and the original source of production. Journal of Marketing Research, pp. 371-386.
- P.Magnusson, Westjohn, S., & Zdravkovic, S. (5 de 28 de 2011). Further clarification on how perceived brand origin affects brand attitude: a reply to Samiee and Usunier. International Marketing Review, pp. 497-507.
- Papadopoulos, N. (1993). What product country images are and are not. Em N. Papadopoulos, Product Country Images. New York: International Business Press.
- Parameswaran, R. P., & Mohan, R. (26 de may de 1989). Assimilation effects in country image research. Journal of Marketing Research, pp. 222-229.
- Pikturnienè, I., & Treigytè, D. (1 de 10 de 2011). Impact of country of origin and country of brand origin on consumer attitude towards products. Business: Theory and Practice/Verslas:Teorija ir Praktika, pp. 38-46.
- Profeta, A., Balling, R., & Roosen, J. (1 de 26 de 2012). The relevance of origin information at the point of sale. Food Quality and Preferences, pp. 1-11.
- Roth, K. P., & Diamantopoulos, A. (7 de 62 de 2009). Advancing the country image construct. Journal of Business Research, pp. 726-740.
- Samie, S. (4 de 63 de 2010). Advancing the country image construct - a comentary essay. Journal of Business Research, pp. 442-445.
- Schaefer, A. (1 de 31 de 1997). Consumer knowledge and country of origin effects. European Journal of Marketing, pp. 56-72.
- Sharma, P. (2 de 42 de 2011). Country of origin effects in developed and emerging markets: exploring the contrasting roles of materialism and value consciousness. Journal of International Business Studies, pp. 285-306.
- Thakor, M. V., & Lavack, A. M. (6 de 12 de 2003). Effect of perceived brand origin associations on consumer perceptions of quality. Journal of Product and Brand Management, pp. 394-407.
- Usunier, J. C., & G.Cestre. (2008). Further considerations on the relevance of country-of-origin research. European Management Review, pp. 271-274.
- Woods, M., & Mcdonagh, J. (2011). Rural Europe and the World: Globalization and rural development. European Countryside,, 153-163.
- Zhou, L., Yang, Z., & Hui, M. K. (2 de 38 de 2010). Non-local or local brands? A multi-level investigation into confidence in brand origin identification and its strategic implications. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, pp. 202-218.