Pages: 65 - 67
Authors: Dobi (Peshkepia) I.
Abstract: Number of international organizations (IO) like NATO, OSCE, COUNCIL OF EUROPE, and EU play directly an essential role on Western Balkans democratization process. However, the requirements in the Balkan are not in the same level and seem that the EU doesn’t require the same standards from Albania. On this point of view the question consist on the effects of conditionality on democratization. The objective is to analyze the main actors’ interests and the relationship between Europeanization and democratization, by focusing on Albania. The article is based on empirical study gathered by literature and the opinions by EU experts and analyst. At the national level Albania is under the pressure to satisfy the imposed conditionality issues. The democratization process regard, key reforms addressing on institutional reforms, and the way how to implement. This explains the reason why the EU norms are difficult to implement and on the other hand seems to give more influence by international actors to realize the democracy standards on Albania. International actors and concretely the EU is tried to implement in Albania a model of democratization through membership conditionality and institutional democratization between institutional actors
Keywords: European Union, institutionalization, democratization, international organization
1. Schimmelfenning F. & Sedelmeier U. The Europeanization of Central and Eastern Europe. – Cornell University Press,
2005. – Р. 29–256.
2. Harpfer C. W., Bernhagen P., Inglehart R. F. & Welzel C. Democratization. – Oxford University Press, 2009. – Р. 74–90.
3. Pridham G. The dynamics of democratization: a comparative approach. – London and NY: Continuum, 2000. – 348 p.
4. Pridham G., Herring E. & Sanford G. Building democracy: The international dimension of democratization in Eastern
Europe. – Leicester University Press, 1997. – 216 p.
5. Schimmelfenning F. The normative origins of democracy in the European Union: Towards a transformationalist Theory
of Democratization, National Center of Competences Research: Challenges to Democracy in the 21st Century. – Working
Paper No. 39. – 2009. – Р. 2–11.