Pages: 137 - 144
Authors: Ilchuk P.
Abstract: Objective: research of additional costs caused by internationalization, classification and rationale of such costs, and formation the mechanism for cost management within the adaptation, standardization and situational approaches to marketing activities in foreign markets. Methods: generalization, data grouping, deduction, systematization, analysis. Results: Based on the review of the literature demonstrated that doing business in foreign markets is accompanied by the need to carry additional costs. Developed author’s classification costs of enterprises on internationalization into 3 groups: initial (creation costs), costs of forming and operating market position (current) costs. Determined costs, which make within standardization and adaptation of marketing activities in foreign markets. Scientific novelty: improved the mechanism of cost management enterprises, developed a typology costs of enterprises for internationalization, through which improved information base for decision-making on the internationalization of enterprises. Practical significance: identified the group of costs and justified certain costs, which made within the internationalization of enterprises, identified the strengths and weaknesses of using standardization and adaptation of marketing activities within the policy control costs. The advantages of applying the situational approach to the formation of marketing activities in foreign markets are substantiated, allowing enterprises to optimize the cost of internationalization. Advantages of entry into foreign markets in the organizing of the value chain are determined so as to make optimal use of the difference between costs and outcomes (effectiveness) using resources in different countries
Keywords: internationalization, costs, foreign markets, enterprise
1. Drabik, I. Kryterii’ klasyfikacii’. Vydy strategii’ rozvytku pidpryjemstva na zakordonnyh rynkah (The criteria for
classification. Skills development strategy in foreign markets), Visnyk Nacional’nogo universytetu «L’vivs’ka
politehnika»: Logistyka, 2010, No. 690, pp. 587–593 (in Ukr.).
2. Kokorina, V. I. Imperatyvy rozvytku mizhnarodnogo biznesu v umovah globalizacii’ (The imperative of international
business in the conditions of globalization), Derzhava ta regiony. Serija: Ekonomika ta pidpryjemnyctvo,
2010, No. 3, pp. 67–73 (in Ukr.).
3. Shtal, T. V. Marketyngova strategija pronyknennja pidpryjemstva restorannogo gospodarstva v sumizhni
sfery dijal’nosti (The marketing strategy of penetration of enterprise restaurant management in related
areas of activity), Ekonomichna strategija i perspektyvy rozvytku sfery torgivli ta poslug, 2011, No. 1, pp.
608–617 (in Ukr.).
4. Pasenchenko, O. Ju. Marketyngovi ryzyky pronyknennja pidpryjemstv na mizhnarodni rynky (Market penetration
risks companies on international markets), Visnyk KNU im. T. Shevchenka, 2005, No. 73, pp. 37–39 (in Ukr.).
5. Root, F. R. Entry strategies for international markets, NY: Lexington Books, 1987, 269 p.
6. Perskij, Y., Novikova P. Internacionalizacija rossijskoj kompanii: rol’ i zadachi menedzherov (The internationalization
of Russian companies: the role and task managers), Vestnik PNIPU. Social’no-jekonomicheskie nauki,
2012, No 16 (41), pp. 36–47 (in Russ.).
7. Du, Chun’bu. Chynnyky internacionalizacii’ dijal’nosti malyh i serednih pidpryjemstv v umovah globalizacii’
(Factors internationalization of SMEs in the context of globalization), Visnyk Odes’kogo nacional’nogo universytetu.
Ekonomika, 2010, No 20, pp. 58–69 (in Ukr.).
8. Shmalenko, Y. V. Postanovka cilej rozvytku pidpryjemstva na pryncypah internacionalizacii’ (Setting goals of internationalization
principles), Instytucional’nyj vektor ekonomichnogo rozvytku, 2008, No 1 (2), Available at:
http://archive.nbuv.gov.ua/portal/Soc_Gum/iver/2008_1_2/index.html (in Ukr.).
9. Lee, S. K., Koh, Y., Heo, C. Y. Research note: Internationalization of US publicly traded restaurant companies — a
transaction cost economics perspective, Tourism Economics, 2011, Volume 17, Issue 2, pp. 465–471.
10. Zhao, D., He, X. M. The Influence of Capital Structure and Internationalization on Chinese Multinationals: A
Transaction Cost Perspective, Proceedings of the Second International Symposium — Management, Innovation
and Development, 2015, pp. 674–680.
11. Fisch, J. H. Information costs and internationalization performance, Global Strategy Journal, 2012, Volume 2 Issue
4, pp. 296–312.
12. Reeb, D. M., Mansi, S. A., Allee, J. M. Firm internationalization and the cost of debt financing: Evidence from
non-provisional publicly traded debt, Journal of financial and quantitative analysis, 2001, Volume 36, Issue 3,
13. Braunerhjelm, P. Sunk costs, firm size, and internationalization, Weltwirtschaftliches archiv-review of world
economics, 1999, Volume 135, Issue 4, pp. 657–674.
14. Hymer, S. The International Operations of National Firms: A Study of Direct Foreign Investment, Massachusetts: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1960, 198 p.
15. Kostova, T. Organizational legitimasy dunder conditions of complexity: the case of the Multinational enterprise,
Academy of Management review, 1999, Volume 24, Issue 1, pp. 64–81.
16. Mezias, J. M. Identifyng liabilities of foreignness and strategies to minimize their effects: The case of labourlawsuite
judgmenst In the US, Strategiс Management Journal, 2002, Volume 23, Issue 3, pp. 229–244.
17. Petersen, B., Pedersen, T. Copyng with liabilities of foreignness: different learning engagement of entrant firms,
Journal of International management, 2002, Volume 8, Issue 3, pp. 339–350.
18. Zaheer, S. Overcoming the liability of foreignness, Academy of Management Journal, 1995, Volume 38, Issue 2,
19. Ilchuk, P. G. Problemy formuvannja ta ocinjuvannja marketyngovyh strategij internacionalizacii’ ukrai’ns’kyh
pidpryjemstv: monografija (Problems of and evaluating marketing strategies of internationalization of Ukrainian
enterprises: Monograph), L’viv: Novyj svit‑2000, 2015, 464 p. (in Ukr.).
20. Theodosiou, M., Leonidou, L. Standardization versus adaptation of international marketing strategy: an integrative
assessment of the empirical research, International Business Review, 2003, No 12 (2), рр. 141–171.
21. Shoham, А. Standardization of international strategy and export performance: a meta-analysis, Journal of global
marketing, 2002, Volume 16, Issue 1/2, pp. 97–120