Pages: 90 - 97
Authors: Sadikhova L. R., Aminbekhov A. F., Shamilov N. T.
Abstract: The study explores the distribution of 16 polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in surficial sediments of the Caspian Sea in the vicinity of the Absheron peninsula. PAHs were extracted with solvent and analyzed by gas chromatography with mass selective detector. The calculations were carried out using deuterated PAH standards. Total concentration of 16 PAHs in the samples varied from 2.1 to 26,6433 ng/g dry weight. In order to determine the source of contamination, the ratios of various individual PAH were calculated. The results showed that PAHs in the studied area were presented by both pyrogenic and petrogenic sources of pollution
Keywords: Caspian Sea, sediment, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, chromatography
1. Abdurakhmanov Q. M., Akhmedova Q. А, Qasanqadjiyeva А. Q. Bulletin of the Astrakhan State Technical University. –
2006. – 3: 151–158 (in Russian).
2. Vandermeulen J. H., Gordon D. C. Reentry of five year old stranded Bunker C fuel oil from a low energy beach into the
water, sediments and biota of Chedabucto Bay, Nova Scotia. J Fish Res Board Can, – 1976. – 33: 2002–2010.
3. Blummer M. Polycyclic aromatic compounds in nature. Scientific American Journal, – 1976. – 234: 34–45.
4. Medeiros P. M., Bicego M. C., Castelao R. M., Rosso C. D., Fillmann G., Zamboni A. J. Natural and anthropogenic hydrocarbon
inputs to sediments of Patos Lagoon Estuary. Brazil, Environ. Int., – 2005. – 31: 77‐87.
5. Zrafi Ines, Hizem Leila, Chalghmi Houssem, Ghrabi Ahmed, Rouabhia Mahmoud, Mosbahi Dalila Saidane. Aliphatic
and Aromatic Biomarkers for Petroleum Hydrocarbon Investigation in Marine Sediment. Journal of Petroleum Science
Research (JPSR), – October 2013. – Volume 2, – Issue 4: 141–155.
6. Noboru-Nishigima F., Roland-Weber R., Caruso-Bícego M. Aliphatic and aromatic hydrocarbons in sediments of Santos
and Cananéia, SP, Brazil. Marine Pollution Bulletin, – 2001. – 42: 1064–1072.
7. Hylland K. Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) ecotoxicology in marine ecosystems. J. Toxicol. Environ. Health;
Part A, – 2006. – 69:109–123.
8. Yunker M. B., MacDonald R. W., Veltkamp D. J., and Cretney W. J. Terrestrial and marine biomarkers in a seasonally icecovered
arctic estuary-integration of multivariate and biomarkers approaches. Mar. Chem., – 1995. – 49: 1–50.
9. Lima A. C., Eglinton T. I., Reddy C. M. High resolution record of pyrogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon deposition
during the 20th Century. Environ. Sci. Technol., – 2003. – 37: 53–61.
10. NRC. Oil in the Sea: Inputs, Fates, and Effects. Committee on Oil in the Sea: Inputs, Fates, and Effects, National Research
Council, – 1985, – 601 p.
11. US National Research Council (NRC). Oil in the Sea III: Inputs, Fates, and Effects. Committee on Oil in the Sea: Inputs,
Fates, and Effects, National Research Council, – 2002, – 446 p.
12. Md Suhaimi Elias, Ab. Khalik Wood, Zaleha Hashim, Wee Boon Siong, Mohd Suhaimi Hamzah, Shamsiah Abd. Rahman,
Nazaratul Ashifa Abdullah Salim and Ariffin Talib. Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) contamination in the sediment
of east coast peninsular Malaysia. The Malaysian Journal of Analytical Sciences, – 2007. – 11 (1): 70–75.
13. Mirvakili H. S. and Hadjizadeh Zaker N. Evaluation of PAHs in Hydrocarbons Pollution, Biodegradation and Weathering
Extent in Surface Sediments of the Kharg Island in the Persian Gulf, Int. J. Environ. Res., – Spring 2014. – 8 (2): 387–394.
14. Wang Z., Fingas M., Page D. S. Oil spill identification. J. Chromatogr., – 1999. – A843: 369–411.
15. Volkman J. K., Holdsworth D. G., Neill G. P., and Bavor H. J. Identification of natural, anthropogenic and petroleum hydrocarbons
in aquatic sediments. Sci. Tot. Environ., – 1992. – 112: 203–219.
16. Qiao M., Wang C., Huang S., Wang D. Composition, sources, and potential toxicological significance of PAHs in the surface
sediments of the Meiliang Bay, Taihu Lake, China. Environ. Int., – 2006. – 32: 28–33.
17. Cook J. W., Hewett C. L., Hieger I. The isolation of a cancer producing hydrocarbon from coal tar. Part I, II and III. J. Chem.
Soc., – 1933. – Р. 395–405.
18. Tolosa I., Mora S., Sheikholeslami M. R., Villeneuve J. P., Bartocci.J and Cattini C. Aliphatic and aromatic hydrocarbons in
coastal Caspian Sea sediments. Marine Pollution Bulletin, – 2004. – 48: 44–60.
19. Kowalewska G. Phytoplankton – the main factor responsible for transport of polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons from
water to sediments in the Southern Baltic ecosystem, ICES J. Mar. Sci., – 1999. – 56 Suppl.: 219–222.
20. Mille G., Asia L., Guiliano M., Malleret L., Doumenq P. Hydrocarbons in coastal sediments from the Mediterranean sea
(Gulf of Fos area, France), Mar. Pollut. Bull., – 2007. – 54: 566‐575.
21. Ehrardt M. and Burns K. A. Determination of petroleum residues dissolved and/or finely dispersed insurface seawater.
In: K. Grosshoff, K. Kremling and M. Enhardt, M. Editors, Methods of seawater analysis, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim; –
1999, – Р. 467–471.
22. Johnsen A. R., Wick L. Y., Harms H. Principles of microbial PAH-degradation in soil. Environ. Pollut., – 2005. – 133: 71–84.
23. Beyer J., Jonsson G., Porte C., Krahn M. M. and Ariese F. Analytical methods for determining metabolites of polycyclic aromatic
hydrocarbon (PAH) pollutants in fish bile: A review. Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacy, – 2010. – 30: 224–244.
Distribution and sources of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in surficial sediments of the Caspian Sea...
24. Obayori O. S. and Salam L. B. Degradation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons: Role of plasmids. Scientific Research and
Essay, – 2010. – 5 (25): 4093–4106.
25. Magi E., Bianco R., Ianni C., Di Carro M. Distribution of pylocyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in the sediments of the Adriatic
Sea. ELSEVIER, Environmenal Pollution, – 2002. – 119: 91–98.
26. Boulobassi I., Saliot A. Dissolved, particulate and sedimentary naturally derived polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in
coastal environment: geochemical significance. Mar.Chem., – 1993. – 42: 127–143.
27. Azcomhydromet (1978–1995). Annual hydrochemical data on the quality of the Caspian Sea. Azcomhydromet, – Baku.
28. Wang X–C., Zhang Y‑X, Chen R. F. Distribution and partitioning of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in different
size fractions in sediments from Boston Harbon, United States. Marine Pollution Bulletin, – 2001. – 42: 1139–1149.
29. Cheng-di Dong, Chih-Feng Chen, Chiu-Wen Chen. Determination of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in industrial
harbor sediment by GC–MS. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, – 2012. – 9: 2175–2188.
30. Woodhead R. J., Law R. J., Matthiessen P. Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in surface sediments around England and
Wales, and their possible biological significance. Marine Pollution Bulletin, – 1999. – 38: 773–790.
31. Notar M., Leskovsek H., Faganeli J. Composition, distribution and sources of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in sediments
of the Gulf of Trieste, northern Adriatic Sea. Marine Pollution Bulletin, – 2001. – 42: 36–44.
32. Mahua Saha, Ayako Togo, Kaoruko Mizukawa, Michio Murakami, Hideshige Takada, Mohamad P. Zakaria, Nguyen
H. Chiem, Bui Cach Tuyen, Maricar Prudente, Ruchaya Boonyatumanond, Santosh Kumar Sarkar, Badal Bhattacharya,
Pravakar Mishra, Touch Seang Tana. Sources of sedimentary PAHs in tropical Asian waters: Differentiation between
pyrogenic and petrogenic sources by alkyl homolog abundance. Marine Pollution Bulletin, – 2009. – 58: 189–200.
33. Soclo H. H., Garrigues Ph., Ewald M. Origin of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) in Coastal Marine Sediments:
Case Studies in Cotonou (Benin) and Aquitaine (France) Areas. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 1 May, 2000. – Volume 40, –
Issue 5: 387–396.
34. Macias-Zamora J. V., Mendoza-Vega E., Villaescusa-Celaya J. A. PAHs composition of surface marine sediments: a comparision
to potential local sources in Todos Santos Bay, B. C., Mexico, Chemospere, – 2002. – 46: 459–468.
35. Mohammadi Zadeh C., Saify A. and Shalikar H. Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHS) along the Eastern Caspian
Sea Coast. Global Journal of Environmental Research, – 2010. – 4 (2): 59–63.
36. Farshid Kafilzadeh, Amir Houshang Shiva, Rokhsareh Malekpor. Determination of Polyaromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs)
in water and sediment of the Kor River, Iran, Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research, – 2011. – 10 (1): 01–07.
37. Yunker M. B., Macdonald R. W., Vingarzan R., Mitchell R. H., Goyette D., Sylvestre S. PAHs in the Fraser River basin: a critical
appraisal of PAH ratios as indicators of PAH source and composition. Organic Geochemistry, – 2002. – 33 (4): 489–515.